Fall is coming. The mornings are getting colder and hot chocolate is beginning to replace lemonade. And what is better to do during the beginning of the new season than to do another project! I'm was so excited about this project too. It was one of those that kept me up late at night because I couldn't get it out of my head and I didn't want to forget it.
I have refurbished our old mirror that goes to our dresser. For my long time readers, you may remember that I refurbished the dresser by painting it black (prev white). And ever since my parents gave it to us two years ago, we have never put the mirror on it...until now. Bwahahaha!
This is what the mirror looked like before.
*ding*
The edges were dinged and close up you could kind of tell it had a couple of years on it. To give it a new look I added a nice black frame. How did I accomplish this? Floor trim. I chose trim because I wanted something more than just a flat board and trim offers LOTS of different, cool designs. It was approx. $20 for the trim and *macho voice* Gorilla Glue at Lowe's. We went with a little more expensive trim because we wanted a thicker frame. I used Krylon Black, Flat (Metallic Series) spray paint. That's usually about $3-ish at WalMart? *phew* Good thing I already had some of my own! Big save right there.
When it came to glueing, instructions said that clamps or a weight should be put on it so it gets better "stickage."( Yes I just made that word up.) The more weight, the better. Well...we didn't have any clamps so I made due. After letting it dry, with weight applied, for two hours it was ready for installation.
Tada! Doesn't it look so nice? (if no, don't answer that) It opens the room up so nicely! Which is awesome because we have a tiny, tiny, tiny room. Plus it's big enough I can double-check to really see if my dress doesn't make me look fat.
I also spray painted the handles on the dresser a brushed nickel (luurve Krylon's Metallic Series). Before, it was a very worn and dirty looking gold color. At first I wasn't too sure about the smartness level of this touch up. I didn't know if it would look good with all the detail on the handles. But now they look AWESOME!!! I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Jesse wasn't happy at first, only because he had to go without drawer handles for about a day. Which also happened to be laundry day. lol
Have you done any fun projects lately? I think my next one is maybe painting our front door. A nice red would go great I think. Ooh and I bought some hanging baskets while we were at Lowe's too. Now if only I had remembered to buy plants to put in them. lol Now worries, I have this great idea of creating a little mini graveyard in them for Halloween. Little Haunted House included. What do you think of that idea? And remember when commenting, "If you don't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all." lol j/k...but seriously.
No comments:
Post a Comment