Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Proposal

So I know that this is extremely late but I have just now convinced myself to finally sit down and type everything out. But as I am sure all of you know that I am ENGAGED to Jesse Crawford!!! Here is the story of The Proposal. 

Two weeks ago I took a Thursday and Friday off of work because that Wednesday (March 18) was Jesse's birthday and I was going to go up to Rexburg after work on Wednesday to spend time with Jesse. Now I knew that Jesse was probably going to propose pretty soon and I suspected his birthday because hello, it was his birthday. What better birthday present right? lol. So on Wednesday Jesse actually came down to pick me up and then we would both go back to Rexburg. He said he really wanted to plus he wanted an excuse to get out of the apartment so I was just fine with it all. After work I went home and he was waiting for me and just talking to Brittany. We both ended up talking to Brittany for about an hour after that before we finally left. When we did leave Jesse said he had to stop by D.I. and drop some stuff off for one of his roommates. I didn't think anything of it other than I didn't know why he just didn't do it up in Rexburg. We pulled into the parking and my first thoughts were, "Don't tell me he's going to propose in the middle of D. I. parking lot!" lol After we parked Jesse said that he had to get his birthday present.  I was trying to play it cool and as if I didn't know what was going on so I told him to go ahead. He then said to me that I have to wear a blindfold first. I said ok and he put the blindfold on me all the while I was giggling on the inside wondering what he was going to do. After the blindfold was on we started to drive again. I kept teasing Jesse that people were going to think he was kidnapping me or something. So there we are driving along and funny thing is I knew exactly where we were. Jesse had turned onto main street after we left D.I. and everyone knows that Logan is a grid system and impossible to really get lost in. There was even a time when I guessed exactly where we were on main street. So Jesse pulled into a parking lot and started to drive around all crazy like trying to confuse me. He did confuse me a bit until he said that he saw Laura and then I knew we were at the library because that's where she works. lol After finally driving around some more I was finally confused as to if we were going North, South, East, or West. So we started driving again and it seemed like we were driving up to the temple but for some reason it seemed like a really long time before we got anywhere. Also there was a road that we drove on that curved, which just so happened to be the streat that curves right there next to the temple. But for some reason I didn't remember that and couldn't figure out what road in Logan curves! We pulled into the Logan parking lot and got out. I knew we were in a parking lot because...I cheated...I looked under the blindfold. lol. But I still didn't know where we were so I figured we were in an empty parking lot and was wondering if we were at a church building or something. Jesse led me along and we finally stopped and he asked me if I knew where we were. I felt around me and I could feel walls but I had no idea. I told Jesse that I had no idea and Jesse told me I could pull the blindfold off. When I did there he was on one knee with the ring box open and held in front of me. He then said, "The greatest gift that could be given to me is to have you for eternity. Ashley Nelson, will you marry me?" I of course said yes. lol. 

I later found out that Jesse had talked to my mom and dad that monday so don't worry he did ask for permission before he asked me. He was actually going to drive all the way down to Ely, NV to ask for permission and he called mom and asked if it was alright if he swung by. Jesse said that she started laughing immediately when he asked that. She said sure and that ended their first conversation. Later that evening mom and dad called Jesse and they pretty much told Jesse to go ahead and ask what he was going to ask. lol Jesse then gave his shpeel (which I still have to figure out what all was said) but something along the lines of how wonderful a job they did at raising me and how much of a jewel I am. Mom and Dad replied saying something like like, we know you to be a good guy and that you have a good family, blah, blah, blah, so go ahead and they would be looking forward to hearing the good news from us later. lol. Funny thing was that Jesse was in the library up on campus at BYU-I when he asked and after he got off of the phone, five people that were working on some kind of group thing congratulated him. lol How funny is that? But there is our story. We waited a little bit before we told everyone (like a day or so). It was fun calling everyone and telling everyone the good news. Sorry to anyone that I got to late or heard through a different channel. When you have a family as large as mine it's kind of hard to get to everyone before they learn from someone else. I tried to call all of my family as of course they are first priority. However, I did tell my grandparents last though because I had to deliver a Pecan Log (a REALLY good treat thing only served from the Blue Bird, but that is another story. Basically once you get engaged you have to give grandma a Pecan Log as an announcement) and I wanted to tell them in person. 

But right now we are planning on the wedding being August 1st. It is the second weekend after school gets out for Jesse and I. Our last day in July 23rd. We'll be married here at the Logan Temple and having a reception somewhere here in Logan as well. We'll also be going out to Illinois after things settle down a little and have an open house/reception for all of Jesse's family out there and for good family friends (a.k.a MT. VERNON WARD!!! =D) I'm super excited about it all. This weekend I am going down to Ely and start looking at stuff for the wedding. If anyone has any advice or whatever please contact me. Thanks to you all for your supporst, the congratulations, and well wishes!

2 comments:

Happy Mama said...

Oh ashley I love you! Sniff...heck you're like my sister from Mount Vernon. I know you two will be happy. Haha, congrats!

Lisachem said...

Ah, finally. I have been waiting to hear this story. Congratulations to both you and Jesse. Don't forget to send an announcement. So happy for you two!